Those who want to add personal touch to their tarot readings, a DIY tarot deck is always an option. The person making the deck has to have some creative talents, including drawing, but the task is pretty simple and easy.
Step by Step Guide on How to Make DIY Tarot Deck
- With the use of regular playing cards, measure the shape and form of cards. Place the cards onto poster board, and apply the measures. Cut the cards following the lines. Make sure you cut exactly by the lines, in order to make all cards even. There are 78 cards in a tarot deck. Therefore, 78 blank cards are needed.
- Next step is the picture/image on the card. You can either draw it yourself, or print it out on the computer and glue it onto the card.
- After the card is set, you need to add meanings to each card. Take up your time and think of several meanings for each card. The image must represent the meaning. Don’t try to follow rules for the meanings. After all, it is DIY tarot deck.
- Use cover to laminate the cards to keep them safe and protected.
What to Know about DIY Tarot Deck
- Remember, nothing is set in stone. You can use different meanings and images than the standard ones.
- To spice things up, you can invent your own suits, images and meanings.
- Choose what works for you, and let your intuition and inner power guide you.
The Standard Tarot Deck
When creating a DIY tarot deck, you can invent everything, or follow the rules. If you want to follow the rules of the standard tarot deck, you need to create 78 cards. The cards are divided into two sections.
The Major Arcana or the trump cards is the part designed for greater secrets and long term solutions. There are 22 cards in the Major Arcana, no suits. They are numbered 1-21, and the last card is 0 or the Fool. On the other hand, the Minor Arcana, or the lesser secret consists of 56 cards. They are divided into four suits with 14 cards into each suit. The suit consists of 10 cards (1-10) and 4 court cards. The court cards include the Page, the Queen, the King, and the Knight. The four suits in the Minor Arcana are wands, cups, pentacles and swords, each one associated with one of the four basic elements.